A sneak peek! I twisted Sarah’s arm and she’s giving us a quick look inside the 30 Day Google+ Challenge. Enjoy!
You’ve got your Google Plus account, adjusted your privacy settings and set up your Circles. What do you do next?
It’s now time to take a look at your Google Plus Profile. G+ profiles show up in searches and it helps people decide what circle they add you too. It’s important to get your G+ profile right. Your profile shows when someone presses the “about” tab on your profile.
Let’s take a look at my friend Steven’s profile. Imagine you’ve never met him or heard of him before.
If you had just discovered Steven’s profile, you’d be hooked enough to add him to a circle.
- Add images. Make your profile pic a pic of you. The 5 images across the top can be images that describe you, your work or things that you find important.
- Add links to make it easier for the reader to understand who you are and what you do.
- Remember it’s ok to brag / boast about something. Put something memorable in this section.
- It’s okay to leave things out. If you don’t want to mention what schools, colleges and universities you went to, that’s ok. If you add them it can reassure people that you are “educated” in what you do – it can add to your credibility.
- Add links to your other social profiles so people can follow you on those sites.
- Remember to add links to your websites and blogs
The more hooks you have in your G+ profile the more likely you are to be added to a Circle that’s listened too. The secret is to get the right balance of business and personal. I work to the rule if I wouldn’t want my mum to read it it, then I don’t write it.
Depending on your privacy settings you can see what type of content you share in your circles. For me this is a big indicator of where to place a person. If it’s things that I find interesting then it’s easy to place them. If I see they share other people’s content I can see that they are getting around and may share interesting things even if I don’t like their recent shares.
If I see a logo as a profile pic and a heap of self promotional tripe then I don’t add the person to anything. I move on to find someone else of interest.
Take a good hard look at your G+ profile.
Would you follow you?
If you haven’t already grab a copy of the 30 Day Google+ Challenge here