But then comes the hard bit – you need to gain ‘likers’, keep them interested, get them to participate, keep the page going on top of all your other efforts, don’t let it get dull and boring, not be too self promotional – AARRGGHHHH!! How on earth can you think of all that AND run your business?
Well, worry not, here’s a quick list of 10 things you can post on your Facebook Business page to keep it interesting and encourage interaction – feel free to let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
1) Questions – Update your status each day, but rather than telling people what you’re doing right now, ask them a question. It’s clear by looking at the statuses of people on Facebook (whether individuals or businesses) that asking a question provides a massive response. Let your fans and contacts feel involved – ask them a question related to your business right now.
2) Videos – It doesn’t even have to be your video! It could be a demonstration video from YouTube, a funny video related to your industry, or a music video if you like, but video reaches people that words sometimes don’t. If you have your own video, then even better; either way, break up the monotony of your page with the odd video to keep things interesting.
3) Links to sites other than your own – yes, we know it seems to go against the grain. You started a fan page to promote YOUR business, right? But people soon switch off if your page is nothing more than a list of links to your website, so show them that you’re not just in it for you. Post links to other websites – interesting blogs about your industry, funny stories, news items, even (gasp!) competitors sites occasionally. If some of these sites belong to your fans too, then you’ll inspire loyalty and may get the same in return!
4) Requests for more fans – ask your fans to use the ‘share’ button or the ‘suggest to friends’ link to share your page’s details with their friends on Facebook. It may not have occurred to them to do so, and if you don’t ask, you don’t get!
5) Links to discussions on your wall – if one of your posts isn’t getting the responses you want, it may be that people just aren’t noticing it! Post links to interesting discussions on your Business Page wall, and ASK THEM TO COMMENT!
6) Photos & pictures – again, a great way to break up the relentless words of a business page, photos tell your fans more about you and your business. Post pictures of your premises, your customers, your products or services, diagrams, cartoons, in fact anything that you have that is related to your business.
7) Links to your blog – If you use a plugin, you can do this automatically, but even if you don’t, when you post a new blog, link to it from your Business page – encourage comments and contributions – remember, no asking, no getting 🙂
8) Events – use the events tab to post details of time sensitive special offers, open days, launch days and more. It’s an often forgotten tab but can be very useful if you think about it a little differently 😉
9) Notes – the notes tab can be used for lots of different things; mini blog posts, testimonials, quotes, thoughts – anything that is too big to be put as a status update. It’s another way to add extra interest to your fan page
10) Thanks you to your fans – if your fans are interacting, then it’s worth taking the time out to post a public thank you to them every so often. You can do this by posting a status update and referencing certain fans by prefacing their names with an ‘@’ sybmol. You could go one further and offer prizes or giveaways to a couple of fans per month, given to those who interact the most and the best.
So there you have it – a quick and dirty list of ways to keep your Facebook Business Page interesting. Without interaction and interest, a page quickly becomes nothing more than a list of links, with no intrinsic valu whatsoever. Don’t let your Business page fade away!
No time to sort out your business page? Stuck for what to post? Fans not interacting or even following you? We might be able to help – check out our Free Facebook Business page offer.